The World Association for Person Centered & Experiential Psychotherapy & Counselling (WAPCEPC) was create on July 8th, 1997 in Lisboa, Portugal, during the 4th International Conference on Client-Centered and Experiential Psychotherapy (ICCCEP).
The aim of the Association is to provide a worldwide forum for psycologysts, counselors, teachers, and others help professionals in science and practice who…
- have a commitment to the primary importance of the relationship between client and therapist in psychotherapy and counseling;
- hold as central to the therapeutic endeavor the client’s actualizing process and phenomenological world;
- embody in their work those conditions and attitudes conducive to therapeutic movement first postulated by Carl Rogers;
- have a commitment to an understanding of both clients and therapists as persons, who are at the same time individuals and in relationship with others and their diverse environments and cultures;
- have an openness to the development and elaboration of person-centered and experiential theory in the light of current and future practice and research.
The WAPCEPC promotes different actions:
- to further cooperation between associations, organizations, institutions and individuals on an international level, in the field of person-centered and experiential psychotherapy and counseling;
- to promote person-centered and experiential perspectives and to support and encourage the scientific study as well as the improvement of practice, specifically in the field of psychotherapy and counseling;
- to engage in socio-political processes to ensure the continued contribution of the paradigm in health, education, academic contexts etc.;
- to exchange ideas with other psychotherapeutic orientations and to stimulate cooperation in the field of psychotherapy and counseling;
Since its creation, Worldwide Conferences are organized in different countries. Nowadays it is done every two years. A lot of people from all over the world and from a diversity of psychotherapeutic currents attend to them.
The last Conference was in Antwerp, Belgium on July 2012 and the next one will be hosted in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on July 2014.
The other Conferences were in Italy, 2010: Norwich, UK, 2008: Postdam, Germany, 2006; Netherlands, 2003: Chicago, USA, 2000 and Lisboa, Portugal, 1997.
The WAPCEPC’s members may be individuals or organizations. Membership of the Association includes a subscription to Person-Centered and Experiential Psychotherapies (PCEP), the international journal of the WAPCEPC (4 issues per Volume). Its mission is thus to encourage, and disseminate worldwide, new work on person-centered and experiential therapies, including philosophy, theory, practice, training and research from the different parts of the person-centered and experiential tradition.
Members of the WAPCEPC also receive a regular newsletter with all the information about conferences, publications and other Association events. Besides, they have a lower fee for the PCE Conferences, and also the right to vote in the Association General Assembly and in the board election.
If you want to know something more about the WAPCEPC you can go to the website http://www.pce-world.org.